Wednesday, February 29, 2012

6 Ways to Keep Yourself Motivated to Exercise



 We all need exercise in our lives not only to keep us healthy and fit, but to keep our moods up.  Sometimes getting yourself to the gym can be very difficult and we often find ourselves making up an excuse as to why it would be better to just do it tomorrow.  Try these tips, and help yourself get and stay motivated!


1. Bring Music
   Music can do tremendous things when working out.  I personally cannot exercise without music.  I recommend anything that gives you an urge to dance when you hear it.  If you're into Dance music, try something like 'Cry For You' by September or 'This Time (Klaas Remix)' by DJ Antoine.  Something with a steady quick-paced rhythm.

2. Alternate
   Alternating your exercises not only gives you a better work out, but it keeps things interesting.  This can help you work out for a longer period of time.  Say you want to use the elliptical for 30 minutes because you are trying to burn more fat.  Try using the machine for 15 minutes and then move on to weight machines, ab exercises, etc.  Then whenever you feel ready to get back on, finish up the rest of your 30 minutes with the 2nd 15 minute session.  Something that can help you as well is going forward on the elliptical for 5 minutes and then going backward for 1 minute.  This helps keep things interesting, and going backward will help you tone your butt!

3. Caffeine
  I read in a magazine that it's a good idea to drink a cup of coffee before you work out.  It helps to energize you so that you can have a better work out.  Personally, the only kind of coffee I like is when it's loaded with flavored cream and sugar.  I try to avoid that because I have a sweet tooth as it is, and sugary coffee is just one thing I try to avoid.  I really like 5 Hour Energy Shots.  I don't much of a tolerance for caffeine, so I will just drink half of a bottle each time I work out.  That is just enough to give me an energy boost without making me get jittery.  Plus, I don't have to worry about sugar/calories.

4. Switch it up
  I already talked about alternating exercises to keep things interesting.  Well if you would like to make it a goal to work out everyday, it can be hard to get yourself to stick to that.  Instead, try doing some sort of activity that you can count as a work out for the day.  For instance, go to the gym 2 - 3 times a week.  On the rest of the days you can choose something like going for a bike ride, hiking, jogging around the neighborhood, or doing an exercise video at home (I recommend Jillian Michaels').  Give yourself a goal each day such as; I will do one physical activity for 30 minutes every day of the week.  I guarantee you will find this to be much easier and more enjoyable.

Related:
4 Tricks to Keep your Weight Down

No comments:

Post a Comment