Thursday, January 25, 2018

4 Things it Takes to Follow Your Heart


A photo I took just before I gave my very first motivational speech


Listening to your heart and following that path can be surprisingly difficult. Our heart's desires often lead us to scary, unknown places - places that challenge our beliefs about what we are capable of. Because of this, many people don't end up listening and shut out their true desires.



I have fought through fears when following my heart's desires, and here's what I have found it takes to do so:


1. Starting Small

I can tell you, making big changes or trying new experiences can be overwhelming if you don't start with small steps. I began with journaling; writing out my hearts desires so I could really reflect on them and to see just where I wanted to go. Eventually, I began taking further steps like creating a bucket list for long-term desires. Some of the bigger experiences I wanted to have took money I didn't quite have yet, so I took another step and worked on a savings plan.

All of your small steps will bring you closer to experiences you want to have as long as you keep your mind focused on the end goal and keep moving toward it.

2. Courage

Many times, you will need to make changes (sometimes several) when following your heart. A good way to work up courage is by clinging to those who encourage you. It's not always easy to make changes all on your own without the help and guidance of others.

3. Thought and Consideration

Sometimes you need to think long and hard about following your heart, and that is okay. If possible, take your small beginning steps while thinking about it. Sometimes getting yourself in the motion and  and on the path while still thinking hard about what it is you really want to do will help with your decisions.

4. Taking Action

If you've had a certain thought or desire (positive/heathly thoughts and desires, of course) run through your head several time, it is probably time to start taking action. Just give it a try. It's okay to fall along the way, nobody is perfect. Taking action is extremely important, because you won't know how something will really turn out until you try.


I have always been a dreamer and a big thinker, but I used to keep the desires of my heart to myself or push them away and try to forget about them because I was too afraid. It wasn't until I began to pick up my feet and make moves, that my whole world changed. Try it.


Related:
How to Create and Prepare a Captivating Speech
When Life Changes Make You Uncomfortable
4 Traits of a Good Communicator
The Journey of a Lifetime: What it's Like to Pack up and Leave Town

No comments:

Post a Comment