Monday, April 27, 2015

4 Traits of a Good Communicator




I was talking to my coworker about an issue that has come up with the new guy I'm dating, and he encouraged me to bring it to his attention. It was difficult to do so, but now I feel much closer to my guy. I also feel that it'll be easier to continue talking through any issues that arise in the future.

 Something I admire about my coworker is that he is an excellent communicator. He is not afraid to bring up issues in his relationships, and those close to him respect him for it.

Communication is something that I used to struggle with. I used to keep everything to myself, which created a wall between myself and my loved ones. This is something that I have been working on, however, and it has made my relationships flourish tremendously.

Here are some traits of a good communicator:

1. Honesty

Good communicators know that honesty builds trust. They hold high value in telling others the truth, even though it may not always be easy. They are confident in who they are, and know that they can talk through anything that may be difficult to discuss.

2. Humility

It's not easy to admit to your mistakes and character flaws. It can feel like you are taking a stab at your pride when practicing humility, however, this character trait will allow others to feel level and comfortable with you. In the end, it actually takes a courageous person to admit to what they have done wrong, and that is to be admired.

3. Confidence

Confidence is built when a person knows who they are and what they stand for. Others are naturally attracted to an individual who has taken the time to figure out what it is that they like and dislike. So don't be afraid to be different than everyone else; you will find that being your own person will make you much more comfortable in your skin.

4. Courage

Don't ever be afraid to speak up when necessary. If something is bothering you, you must bring it up and talk it out. People can't read minds and need to be told about issues that bother you. Most people will happily discuss the issue; if they give you a tough time, then they are not comfortable with themselves and haven't developed a good set of communication skills.

If you have someone in your life that you have to walk on eggshells around, then maybe they aren't at a place in their lives where they should be a part of yours. You should be able to talk about problems with those that you are close to.

Related:
4 Ways to be a More Interesting Person
23 Things I Learned by Age 23
Tenacity: The Sexiest Characteristic

1 comment: