Friday, July 10, 2015

Why You Must Have a Bucket List



In 2013, I created a bucket list with some pretty out-there ideas. The reason it's a great idea to keep a list of experiences you want to have is because it gives you direction.

Earl Nightingale once said: "People with goals succeed because they know where they are going." 


Writing out experiences desire will give you something to strive for, and you'll love the feeling you get when you cross off some of those items - especially when some of them initially seemed impossible to achieve. When you put an idea in your head, you will subconsciously find ways to make them possible.

Some of the items I have happily crossed off my list include:

Having a career I'm proud of 
After moving to a different town and then moving back home, I went from unemployed and crying over a popped air mattress on my parents' office floor, to my very own one bedroom apartment and a sales career that I absolutely love.

Go to Hawaii with Grandma
I always wanted to go to Hawaii with my Grandma, as that is her favorite vacation spot. After writing that desire on my list, I began working hard to save money and spend less. All of my hard work paid off, and I had the vacation of a lifetime.

Helicopter ride
I've always wanted to ride in a helicopter, and I just so happened to get to do so in Kauai - the most beautiful place I've ever been to! This was because I had mentioned it in a conversation with some family members, so they went out of their way to make sure that it happened for me.

Get my dad to reconnect with my half brother and sister
My dad's ex wife made him out to be a monster when they were 7 and 9 years old, and she wound up taking them away from him. I was born that same year, so I grew up seeing the emptiness in my dad's eyes on holidays and their birthdays. He is nothing close to a monster and would drop everything he's doing for his family.

After miraculously discovering that my sister-in-law worked with my brother's wife, I got to finally meet him and my sister (I was 24 years old). After getting to know them, they decided that they wanted to meet my dad, and I was floored. That was an amazing item to cross off my list.

The next big item I will be crossing off my list will be "Speak at a seminar, or something like it", which I am ecstatic about! I wrote an email to some staff members at a school for troubled youth about my friend who passed away saving my life seven years ago. 

My parents had sent me away to that school when I was in high school, and when I got out, I spent years having no direction. After experiencing the death of a friend on a cliff jumping trip, I was lost and hated myself more than ever. Finally, 

I found the way to get myself onto a purpose-filled path, and I now get to share my learned lessons with hundreds of students who struggle with a loss of identity, suicidal tendencies, drugs, and much more.

So, if you are feeling desire for purpose, excitement, adventure, and direction, I suggest that you create a bucket list. I guarantee you won't regret it!

Related:


No comments:

Post a Comment