Wednesday, November 1, 2017

6 Months Later: What Marriage Feels Like




I have been married for 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. It's funny to think about some of the fears I had at first. Marriage can be a scary thing to get yourself into. So many things can go wrong when you have your heart fully invested in a relationship, and marriage is the ultimate commitment.



You are opening yourself up to possibilities of potential heartbreaking situations, but I can tell you that I would rather spend my life with the person that brings me so much joy and take the risks. I haven't been married all that long, but it has been an incredible journey so far. It is tough, but anything worth having takes work. And it's not tough in the way I thought it would be.


1. You stare at your left hand. A lot.

It's a surreal feeling knowing that you have someone's heart, and he has yours. Looking at that sparkly diamond on your hand and the wedding band gives you this secure, yet unknown feeling.

You just took one of the biggest steps of your life and are about to embark on a journey with so many unpredictable outcomes. You are brave because have just made a promise to another person through thick and thin. At the same time, how beautiful it is to wonder what adventures you and your spouse have ahead.

2. You feel a little older.. or something. You feel different.

I can't quite explain this one, but I wasn't expecting to feel like this. It's like you no longer want to do a lot of the things you used to do because you feel this new responsibility or something. I wish it were easier to put into words, but you just feel like your world has just gotten a little bit bigger and more meaningful.

3. The Memories You Created On Your Wedding Day Are Incredibly Precious. You Can't Even Imagine.

I remember just a few months before my wedding day, I was ready for it to just be over with already so I could be away in Europe with my new husband on our honeymoon. I was so tired of taking trips to Michael's and Hobby Lobby, tired of pulling my debit card out of my wallet, and kept thinking is it really worth all of this stress just for one day? I mean this is an incredibly special day, but come on... 

I get it now. Not saying that you should go overboard and stress about it being just right, but wow. The memories I have of that day are so special. Sitting in my dressing room by myself after my bridesmaids left to head down the aisle knowing my future husband was about to see me, looking at all of the smiling faces with teary eyes as I walked passed them, our first dance in that beautiful ballroom, and my husband telling me to come outside with him for 10 minutes so we could stand on the deck together and stare at the city lights as a married couple. I could go on, it's a beautiful amazing day. Not just a day. Not at all.

4. You Officially Have a Family.

That wasn't something I thought all that much about until my new husband and I were leaving Europe to head home from our honeymoon. In customs, we each went to a passport scanner when I heard my husband call me over, "babe, this is asking if I have a family. You and I can scan our passports together." I smiled. What a neat feeling and a strong reminder that I was doing life with someone from then on.

5. You Have So Much To Combine!

You've been working on building your career, friendships, health, finances, etc. for a long time, and you're used to it. Suddenly, the decisions you make need to include your spouse. It feels a little vulnerable to share your finances but it forces you to communicate and make sure your accounts are managed as a team.

If you haven't moved in together yet (like myself and my husband), there will be a lot of organizing and chore-sharing to work out, and if you plan on having kids one day, you have to make sure both of your careers will work for a family. It may seem overwhelming at times, but you agreed to do life together, so it should be worth all of the hard work. You'll really feel closer to your partner through this as long as you keep your communication open and focus hard on that.

6. Saying "My Husband" Feels Unreal

That took me a while to get used to, and after being married for 6 months, it still sometimes feels unreal. I love it when I hear him say, "my wife" too, especially when you can tell that he enjoys saying it. Your friends and family will probably call you out at first when they hear you say it for the first time.

I was having dinner with my in-laws one evening, and I told our server that my husband would be showing up a little later. They both looked at me and laughed. It was so funny to hear them refer to their son as a husband, and they weren't used to seeing me as a woman with one. Some people may even ask you to repeat yourself because they like the sound of it too.


I love being married, so much more than I could have imagined. I still check out  my ring all the time, still enjoy saying "my husband", and fully enjoy sharing my life with someone so special. It's scary because so many things could go wrong, but you have to trust that you'll get through anything that comes your way; it's so worth it.

Related:
5 Things I Learned From My Single Days
22 Little Things Men Do That Make Women Feel Beautiful
7 Signs You're In The Wrong Relationship
How The Man Who Saved My Life Is Inspiring Troubled Youth

No comments:

Post a Comment